Saturday, January 2, 2010

Readers Write Saturday--Petra McGowan

Please keep those Readers Write entries coming in. We really enjoy learning more about our readers. You can email them to me at jamidavenport@att.net.

This week we have Petra McGowan.


*********

First I’d like to mention that English is my second language so I’d like to “pre-emptiveIy” apologize for any grammar mistakes ;o). I started reading your blog recently and really enjoy it. Keep up the great work.



So back to myself – my name is Petra McGowan. I am a horse & dog lover and live with my hubby, two horses, two dogs and a kitty on our 40 acre ranch in Canada, Manitoba. Durango, my Trakehner x TB gelding is 5 years old and is sweet as a pie, but unfortunately he has been having troubles with his hip and is off work for the moment (dressage). But we still get to enjoy hacking and liberty games together. He is better at heeling than my boxer girl who I do agility trials with. My mare’s name is Cadence. She is a PMU baby – Percheron Arab cross. Very smart, very pretty, beautiful mover – people actually think she is a Trakehner as well. But I need to make sure I make her smarts work for me, not against me otherwise things will go terribly wrong. She was my first ”project” horse that I started myself. I got her as a yearling and on number of occasions I was thinking “what did I get myself into”? She’s a HOT HOT stuff. But with time we build excellent rapport and starting her was very peaceful. One day I just hopped on her back while she was hanging out in the paddock. No halter, no saddle, nothing. Now she’s going on 5 and my coach can’t believe what an “excellently packaged for dressage” animal she is. No exceptional bloodlines, no fancy pedigree. She also enjoys hacking and is an explorer. She’d always rather chose someone else’s drive-way to visit instead of going home. I am so proud of her.


Recently I quit my job as a marketing manager and decided to develop eco-friendly all natural premium line of equine grooming products - EcoLicious Equestrian (www.ecoliciousequestrian.com). I am very eco-aware, my skin is quite sensitive and I find products available on the market very harsh, irritating and full of toxic ingredients. After all we are the ones responsible for protecting the health of our horses and our earth with our choices.

I am so blessed to have horses in my life. I learn so much from them every day. They help me through tough times, give me joy, never judge....


All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!

All the best to the new year!

Petra Z. McGowan
EcoLicious Equestrian Inc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both your horses are gorgeous! I also have a TB/Trak cross - a 12yo mare called Maisie.

Laura Crum said...

Petra, your horses look very happy. And I know what you mean about saying thank you. I'm curious--what's your first language, if you don't mind my asking.

EcoLicious Equestrian said...

I am originally from Czech Republic... My hubby and I who is Canadian met in Australia while I was in university there...and then i swapped white beaches for white snow covered praries...

Laura Crum said...

Wow--that must have been a big change.