Friday, September 3, 2010

Summer Riding (or not)

I have enjoyed vicariously trail riding through Laura because here in Virginia, in the summer of 90+ temperatures, the nonhackers (me) stopped riding. The real riders in Virginia kept up their schedule of horse shows and competing no matter how miserable the heat, but my Quarter Horse cross Relish (as in Relish the Thought, not as in hotdog) and I cried "uncle" and gave up.

First, the heat was relentless. In June and July the pastures were so parched, we had to move our three horses to the neighbor's big field when ours were reduced to dust. Fortunately, it was so dry the flies disappeared. DISAPPEARED. It was magical--only crunching through bone dry woods in a complete sweat was not fun either, even if Relish and I weren't battling the bugs. Since the word 'drought' was mentioned often, I bought hay early from the same neighbor, worried that our grass would stay brown and the area's hay crop might be scarce.

Then in August the rain and humidity returned. Rain brought the grass so we were able to move the horses back home. It also brought the flies, and my once a week swipe with fly spray was ineffective, so it was back to fly masks, spraying constantly and religiously bringing the horses into the barn during the hottest time of the day where two huge fans keep them somewhat cool and keep off the flies.

Last week we had several chilly mornings. I quickly dragged out my gear and saddled up. Relish seemed eager to get away from his two bossy pasture mates (mares, of course) and we had a few easy (warming up those muscles) rides. Then heat hit again, the flies returned for their last hurrah, and the helmet and boots went back in the closet.

Weather definitely affects my riding, but the care of the horses never falters. I long for fall, but part of me remembers the past winter, which I don't want to hurry up. We had two feet of snow and three foot drifts that lasted forever, and my snowshoes and ice cleats replaced bug spray and fly masks in order to ensure my horses were fed and safe.

How does weather affect your riding?

8 comments:

Laura Crum said...

Alison--I am a fair weather rider, too. We had a couple of days this week and last week that were in the 90's and despite having planned a ride, we did not go. I don't enjoy slogging through the hills in the heat and the horses don't either. So I hear you. Like you, I do my horse chores every day, no matter the weather, so I feel connected to my horses even when I don't ride. I have to admit, heat that eliminated the flies has not come my way--it sounds almost scary. I live in a climate where we don't (usually) get extreme weather. Ninety degree days are rare, snow is virtually unheard of. But it can rain a lot in the winter, which stops my riding (and makes horse care a pain--mud is my bane), and we get a lot of cool (50 degrees) foggy weather, which is sort of gloomy and does not inspire me to ride. So you see, I really am a fair weather rider and am lucky to live where we get a lot of nice days. Today looks like another 70 degree day and my son and I are planning on riding. Hope you get some pretty fall weather soon and can enjoy the same.

Alison said...

Laura--keep sharing your rides and when it's gloomy and foggy your way, I'll share mine, except Relish and I don't have the labyrinth of trails you and your son enjoy!

Laura Crum said...

Alison--I am addicted to those trails and would probably ride them every time I rode, left to myself. But my son, who is in many ways wiser than me, likes variety, and today he wanted to work on loping circles in our riding ring. So he did that, very successfully, which is somewhat of a victory. I posted last fall about his issues keeping his lazy horse in the lope and how together we worked through them, so a day of loping good circles in the ring is probably every bit as valuable to my kid as another trail ride. Henry is enjoying some well deserved grazing now--I can see him from my window as I type. But next I must get Sunny out and exercise him, and I do not like loping circles in the ring nearly as much as my son does. Oh well. I suppose its good for me(!)

joycemocha said...

Even though I primarily ride in the arena, weather affects the footing. In western Oregon, the damp pervades everything and oozes its way into the indoor, between leaks, condensation, and seepage. Once it gets cool and wet, the underfooting is slick and I don't do a lot of fast riding and schooling, just because it's slippery. I've yet to ride in any NW Oregon indoor arena that doesn't have that feature.

Summertime, the indoor gets really dusty unless regularly watered. I ride outdoors until it gets dry and dusty out there, especially since the ground gets very hard before the fall rains and my little mare starts gimping after a while (She has hock injections every 6-7 months and footing really does make a difference for her movement).

I will try to ride outdoors in the fall, winter and spring as much as possible, as mud and light allow. Wintertime is about conditioning rides for both of us. Instead of getting perky in the cold, my mare tends to shut down. She prefers the heat and does better in it.

Alison said...

Joyce, It's interesting how each area of the USA has different problems with riding! I would have thought an indoor arena would be ideal, but I guess it has problems, too.

Good luck, all riders, no matter where you are!

Alison said...

Joyce, It's interesting how each area of the USA has different problems with riding! I would have thought an indoor arena would be ideal, but I guess it has problems, too.

Good luck, all riders, no matter where you are!

Jan said...

Alison, Like you, I live in Virginia and this summer has been terrible for heat and humidity! I go to the barn where I board every weekend, but on the days it was 99-plus temperatures, I just brushed and hand grazed my horse. When in the 90's, I did ride my horse, but would keep it to a fairly light session in the arena. And like you, I remember our difficult, snowy winter last year, so am hoping it is much milder this year. When the footing in the arena is not rideable, we will do groundwork together in his pasture and he gets treats for the various exercises he does. Unless it is really extremely hot or bad footing, we will do something - either groundwork in the pasture, or a bit of round pen work in hand, or arena work, or a trail ride through the woods. But this summer has been a real challenge!

Alison said...

Jan--it sounds as if you are much more imaginative about keeping your horse fit and interested. Since I keep the horses at home, there are so many chores in the heat that I am not interested in 'fun' things like you--I admire what you are doing!