Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Taking a Break

by Laura Crum

Lately I’ve been feeling a little burned out. Between finishing my twelfth mystery novel, keeping up with my son’s homeschooling, trying to get the spring garden in shape, doing the inevitable and necessary housework, and riding the horses at least a couple of times a week, oh, and did I mention I have a new puppy? Well, between all that I’ve gone into overwhelm. I don’t mean I’m having a nervous breakdown or anything, just that its been harder to feel very joyful. And this is too bad when you consider that I very much enjoy every single thing I’m doing. I just don’t enjoy them all at once, all the time.

I’m especially sad that I’m not enjoying the horses as much as I usually do. The new puppy’s demands for attention have really eaten into the little free time I had for messing with the horses. (Though the puppy herself is a delight--still, a lot of work, as all puppies are.) Not to mention the time I’ve spent pushing to finish the book. And paradoxically, once I get out of the groove of regular riding, I find it harder to enjoy the little bits of riding I’m able to do. I can’t explain it—I just notice its true.

So, I’ve decided I need a break. Time to shake things up a little. I’m mailing my completed manuscript to the editor today, and next week I’m departing on an open-ended camping trip, complete with dogs and family. Don’t know exactly where we’re going, except it will be south and east of here. Somewhere in the red rock desert. Don’t know exactly when we’ll be back, except it will be before Memorial weekend. I won’t be connecting to the internet, so no email or blogs. I hope to see some interesting things.

The only downer about this plan is that May is a lovely month here—my roses are looking wonderful, my horses are shedding out and looking pretty again as well. But I really do think I need a change of pace. My friend/boarder, Wally, is going to live here while we’re gone and take care of everything, which makes it possible for us to leave. So, anyway, I’ll post again when I get home, and I wish you all much fun with your horses in the meantime.

Cheers--Laura

16 comments:

Minus Pride said...

"happy trails!!" and hopefully you can relax & enjoy it!!

If you think of it, take pcitures so we can live vicariously through you!!

Mikey said...

I'm hearing ya. It IS overwhelming. I didn't know you homeschooled too. That's a lot of work!!
So if you hit the red rock country and have time, swing by this way and the kids can ride together! Bring the dogs too, we're all kinds of dog friendly :)

Carol said...

What a dream - to be able to pick up and go on an open ended camping trip to red rock country. Good for you for recognizing you need it and then doing it. It will be fun to read about the trip and your recharged battereis when you return.

Laura Crum said...

Minus Pride--I'll put some photos up for sure.

Mikey--I know you're in Arizona, but don't know exactly where. We're aiming for the Four Corners area (in general).

Carol--I haven't actually been able to do a trip like this since my son was born. But now is the time, I think. We have a camper and my husband was able to get time off work. And one of the beauties of homeschooling is that you CAN take advantage of opportunities like this. I know my son will learn a lot.

horsegenes said...

SO jealous right now. I have a four horse trailer, can I just follow along behind you and bring the horses for an occasional ride along the way? I can dream, can't I?

Laura Crum said...

kel--I do fantasize about bringing the horses--but reality always gets in the way. The horse trips I've done have all been horsepacking trips in the Sierras, and the whole trip was very much about riding.

But yeah--if I had a magical friend who could just cause our riding horses to appear when we could use them and disappear when they would be in the way....that would be nifty (!)

Shanster said...

Enjoy your much deserved break! I definately think getting away and changing it up creates a new found energy and appreciation for what our normal lives are when we get back.

Have fun and looking forward to what you saw when you return!

Laura Crum said...

Thanks, Shanster. I'm starting to make lists now--this is the daunting stage--when you think of everything you need to pack. But its a lovely day out here and my son and I are going to go on a short ride, and yeah, I'm looking forward to the change and new places--and coming home again, too.

Francesca Prescott said...

You are a superwoman, you clearly are! I mean, you homeschool too????!!! On top of everything else? How???

Have a wonderful holiday, Laura. I'll miss you posts, but look forward to hearing about your adventures. Lots of love to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time with your family Laura!! How I envy you, your open-ended vacation, a trusty horse and house sitter and no outside interferences!!!!

Looking forward to pictures and stories of all your adventures! Be safe and have relaxing time!

Cheers, Lynn

Laura Crum said...

Thank you, Francesca. I don't feel much like a superwoman. And I am looking forward to a break from my routines. Hope all is going well with you and yours--and especially your handsome new man (I mean Qrac, of course).

Lynn--Thanks for the good wishes. I am very grateful to have a trustworthy horse/house sitter--without him vacations would be pretty much impossible. But that's part of his "board". I keep his horses and he has to stay here when we go away. I take the dogs, but he has the horses, chickens, cats and garden to care for--and yes, I am really grateful and lucky to have him.

HorsesAndTurbos said...

You have a great time! Will the others still be posting, or should I just wait until after Memorial Day to peak in here again?

Laura Crum said...

Jackie--I believe everyone else will still be posting as scheduled--though, of course, sometimes life gets in the way. But yes, there ought to be plenty of posts while I'm gone--and depending on weather, fortune, and how much we miss our horses and home, I could be gone anywhere from a week to three weeks. Wish me luck.

Susan said...

Have Fun! I bet it's going to be a wonderful trip.

Laura Crum said...

Thank you, Susan--I'm hoping for fun, relaxation, and a break from routine. And to see some new country.

Alison said...

You'll be taking a break for all of us over-stressed folks, so live it up . . . or relax it up. No pressure :)