Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Boys Will Be Boys

Several of you have been asking about my new donkeys, Mr. Chocolate and Mr. Big, so I thought I'd send some pictures.

These are two of the sweetest donkeys I have owned (and I raised donkeys for a number of years, so I've had lots.) They are very gentle with people, and even our new pup, Penny (below.) Notice that they haven't shed out yet?

In the Northwest, donkeys usually don't shed all their hair until July, and then start hairing up again in August. This year, they are slower than usual to shed out, because we've had a very cool Spring and Summer, and in fact, it's still cloudy and cool in late June.


But when "the boys" start playing together, wow, do they play rough. They bite and rear and act like they're trying out for a nature show - "Wild Donkeys of the Cascades."


I have mostly owned jennies, so having two donkey geldings together is a new experience for me. Mr. Chocolate was a jack when I got him, but I had him gelded back in February, and I thought by now we should be done with this kind of behaviour.


They play rough, too, and I doctor them almost daily for bites on their neck. They also play tug-a-war with the ball in the background, and chase each other around and around. And around and around.

I have even thought of separating the two of them, but they've been together as best friends for about five years, so I have finally decided that . . .



boys will be boys. *Sigh*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think should I ever not be able to ride - that I would like to own a couple of donkeys. They just look like so....much......fun.!!!!!

Linda Benson said...

mommyrides - that's just where I'm at. I'm about at the end of my riding days *sob*, but gosh it's fun to have these goofy donks around. And they are guilt-free, because you don't have to really DO anything with them, except enjoy them. ;-)

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Your boys look like a lot of fun!

Francesca Prescott said...

Linda, they are so pretty! And they look rather naughty, too!! What sort of upkeep do they entail? I'm thinking regular hoof care and grooming, right? How much space do they need? Do you drive them or anything?

Linda Benson said...

Fantastyk Voyager - they are a lot of fun!
Francesca - Donkeys don't need a lot of room, and they do fine on just good grass hay. I do have their feet trimmed regularly, and worm and vaccinate them like horses. Other than that, they're pretty low maintenance. And yes, you can ride them and drive them, although these two (so far) are just pets. ;)

Alison said...

Wow, that is some rough-housing. I assume they haven't really hurt each other? My psychologist says they are bored and need a trip to Switzerland to visit Qrac.

Linda Benson said...

HaHa, Alison. Yes, they are bored and bratty. If I had more energy I'd get out there and give them something to do, but at the moment I'm trying to accomplish that with an energetic puppy. Oh, and Qrac would soundly put them in their place, I'm sure.