Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Grateful



by Laura Crum

As the year draws to a close, I always think about what I’m grateful for. And lots of it is obvious. My family, our home, our animals, my happy life. But I will admit, I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking my happy life is a bit, well, boring. I contrast my life with others, who seem to be doing much more, and I think that my own life, while peaceful and pleasant, is dull.

So today I really started to think of all that I have done in 2011. I started going through my photos. And I have to admit, it really opened my eyes. Suddenly it seemed as though I’d seen and done many memorable things. Maybe my life isn’t terribly exciting, but its beautiful.

In this post, I want to show you some of the lovely things I’ve been doing in the last year. I’m very grateful that these things have come my way. And I would encourage all of you to stop and look at your own photos and really take stock of what the year has brought you. Sometimes its pretty cool.

Here, in no particular order, are some things I did this year.

Swam in Lake Michigan at sunset.

Camped in the Valley of the Gods (and other lovely places in the Four Corners area) with my family.

Rafted down the Poudre River in eastern Colorado with my family.

Adopted a terrier Chihuahua cross puppy from the animal shelter.

Took many happy trail rides with my son on the trails near our home.

Listened to my husband play the bagpipes in various settings (here at our local cemetery on Memorial Day).

Looked at lots of petroglyphs with my husband and son (These are in the Ute Tribal Park, in the Four Corners Area, near the place we were allowed to camp, miles from anyone else.)

Rode on the beach with my kid and our friend, Wally.

Rode to the Lookout—two miles from our place, overlooking the Monterey Bay.


Visited the fields where my husband grows begonias.


Spent many happy hours looking at the world past my horse’s ears.

So there you have it. The list is far from complete, but it still makes me smile. Maybe my life isn’t so boring after all. Maybe my life is just perfect (for me). I hope you enjoyed the photos—I realize this is kind of a narcissistic blog post. But try this exercise yourself; you might like it. And I’d love to see the images you choose to represent your year.

Happy New Year’s Everyone! I have really enjoyed your comments and reading your blogs. Thank you to all of those who have connected with me over the past year. I wish you and yours all the best in the year to come.--Laura

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Thanks for sharing your photos of your year with us - we could all benefit from this type of perspective on our lives.

Mikey said...

Happy New Year to you too! What a great year and great pics. Love that little dog, too cute!! You live a very blessed life :)

Laura Crum said...

Kate--I have loved your photos of your horses and your stories. May 2012 be a great year for you and Pie, Drift, and Dawn.

Mikey--You are another one whose photos and stories have really inspired me. (And your dogs, too.) Blessings to you and your family and animals, and thank you so much for sharing bits of your life with us.

And yes, I agree. I have been blessed. My main goal is to realize that each and every moment.

AareneX said...

Life is good. Yours is good. Mine is good. It's just...good.

Happy New Year!

Laura Crum said...

Aarene--Happy New Year to you and yours. And I am so grateful that life is good. Thank you for your blog and especially the photos of Fiddle on your many lovely rides. I've very much enjoyed them, and also learned a lot about endurance from you. And thank you also for your comments here, which are always great fun. Cheers.

Linda said...

Yes, I'd say you have a very exciting life...now mine seems dull. lol. Love the pictures of your year. That was fun. Happy trails in 2012!

Laura Crum said...

Linda--I loved your Xmas horse photos. It looks like you have a beautiful life, too. Not to mention Beautiful herself. Happy New Year to all of you!

Dreaming said...

I loved seeing your year in photos. You had some wonderful experiences - and great photos! Each time I'd say, 'This is my favorite'... I'd go on to the next one and decide THAT was my favorite!

Laura Crum said...

Dreaming--Thank you! It took me awhile to decide which photos to post--I was searching for a magical quality in the images I chose, not just a record of events. Thank you so much for appreciating the pictures--they are special to me.

Once Upon an Equine said...

I'm glad you looked back through your photos and recalled the nice times you've had. Thanks for sharing them and reminding us to be grateful for the good things that happened this past year. It looks like you had a lovely year. May the new year be full of more happy and peaceful times.

Laura Crum said...

Thanks, Once Upon. And good wishes to you and yours, as well.

Alison said...

Thanks for reminding us (me) that our boring lives are really filled with lovely moments.

Laura Crum said...

Alison--It was your post awhile ago titled (I think) "An Exciting Life...Not", that inspired this post. I could totally relate to what you were saying and that gave me the idea for the photo post. My life really is very peaceful (or boring, depending on how you look at it), but yes, filled with lovely moments, which I think can probably be said of most of us. Happy New Years!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. It looks like you've had a wonderful year. May next year be just as good.

Laura Crum said...

Thank you redhorse. And many good wishes to you. I always enjoy your comments.

Anonymous said...

Last time the thought that my life was boring crossed my mind my husband had a stroke and died. That was twelve years ago and a very painful time for so many people. That experience helped me develop an appreciation for all the blessings in my life including spending two and a half hours brushing away at a mud ball in order to find my beautiful buckskin, Shadow, underneath.

Wishing everyone a new year filled with health, happiness and even a little boredom.

Laura Crum said...

1st horse--Your comment is a real wake-up call. I am totally onboard with wishing everyone (myself included) health, happiness, and a little boredom. Remember the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times." Not me. I want to live in peaceful, boring times.

Thanks for the very thoughtful comment. A Happy New Year to you.

Grey Horse Matters said...

You've got a great perspective, we should all look back and see that our lives are more than we think they are.
Love that little puppy, so adorable.

Wishing you and yours the best in 2012!

Laura Crum said...

Thanks Grey Horse. Many good wishes to you and your herd!