Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Horsey Christmas

So, Christmas coming up makes me wonder - what's the best horsey gift you've ever received? Have any of you ever received a horse (or given one) for a Christmas present?

Adorable picture from Tuesday's Horse

I've never gotten a horse for Christmas, although I did receive a shorthorn heifer named Raisin for my birthday one year :)

And in the years I owned a tack shop, Christmas was always a fun season. Not only did we get to stock equine calendars, ornaments, horse books and greeting cards, but it was a lot of fun watching people pick out presents for the horse lovers in their lives. Some lucky people received new bridles, blankets, and even saddles.

So, I ask you - what's the very best horse gift you ever received? Or gave to someone?

Share with us.

And here's hoping you have the best horsey Christmas ever!


Dreaming said...

For many, many years I dreamed of getting a pony for Christmas. I am sure I dropped many not-so-subtle hints. However, my parents were far too wise and too practical to give me a pony! I don't think our suburban neighborhood would have appreciated the gift either!
My favorite horse-related gift that I received was a beautiful leather purse with a small snaffle bit on the front that held the flap closed. The gift, from my Aunt, was a total surprise. I used it for years.

Mrs Mom said...

Well, Like Dreaming, I was always one asking for a pony. My parents could have given me a piece of poop, and I would have run around screaming,. "There has to be a pony here SOMEWHERE!"

When I turned 16, I got a Christmas/ birthday present of a life time. My Appy gelding Jack. We were together just shy of 20 years. He died five years ago, at the age of 40. I still miss him every single day. But he was BY FAR the best gift I'd ever gotten!!

Linda Benson said...

Dreaming - what a nice gift. I have a keychain with a snaffle bit on it, that I've carried around for, oh probably 20 years. I think I'm a bit attached to it ;)

Mrs. Mom - Jack lived to be 40? Wow, that's a long time. You must have treated him right, and I know you must have loved him. How exciting to get him for Christmas!

Of course, I also asked for a horse every. single. Christmas. When I finally got one (not at Christmas, but with money I saved myself) my parents sprang for a saddle for me, probably to help keep me safe :)

Any time you get a new horse - it feels like Christmas, don't you think?

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Wow, I would have PASSED out if I came down to see that beauty under the tree. I used to get so mad at Santa for NOT LISTENING but there were always plenty of Breyers to cure the tantrum. ;)

Alison said...

My husband gave me his horse for Christmas two years ago. I was already riding and taking care of him (my horse was getting old) so it wasn't a surprise; still, I burst into tears when I saw his photo and knew he was mine.

Linda Benson said...

Kristen - yes, I got many, many toy horses over the years. And horse books. They were a good fix, for awhile.

Alison - gosh, your post brought tears to my eyes, too. What a sweet story.