Wednesday, October 23, 2013

FREE Book!


                                                by Laura Crum

            Since its fall, and some of us read more in the fall and winter (I know I do), I thought I’d offer a chance to start reading my mystery series featuring an equine veterinarian for free. If you like these novels, you’ll have some fun horse-themed books to read all winter long. So for the next three days you can get Cutter, the first book in the series, for free as a Kindle edition (Oct 23rd through Oct 25th). Click on the title to find the link to the free edition. And then next week you can get Hoofprints (the second book in the series) for free, starting Weds the 30th (I’ll post here about it). This will give you a good start on the 12 book series for free. You won’t have to spend a penny to see if you enjoy these novels or not.
            Of course, I’m willing to bet that you will enjoy my mystery series, especially if you enjoy this blog and my posts here. Particularly if you have horses or are interested in horses. Because my mystery novels are very much about horses, and, if you read this blog regularly, you will definitely recognize some of the horse “characters” in the books.
            The stories center around the western horse world here in California, and some of my friends from other horse disciplines and different parts of the world have said that they have really enjoyed learning about these various cowhorse events that I have competed in over the years. Horse people of all sorts can relate to trail riding through spectacular country. There is also plenty of danger, the requisite number of dead bodies, and some absolutely thrilling horseback chase scenes. The one thing I can promise you is that all the horse background is absolutely accurate, and came straight out of my forty years of owning/training/riding horses.
            Here is the one-sentence blurb for Cutter, to give you a sense for whether you might enjoy this book. “Veterinarian Gail McCarthy thought cutting horse trainer Casey Brooks was being paranoid with his stories of poisoned horses and sabotage, but when his blue roan mare returns riderless and Casey is found dead, she isn’t so sure.” For more info and to see many reviews, as well as the opportunity to get the free Kindle edition, click on the title. Cutter is rated 4 stars on Amazon.





            For those who are interested, the artwork on the cover of Cutter was based on a photo of Gunner and me cutting a cow. Gunner is 33 years old this fall, and after a setback a few weeks ago that I thought might be the end of him, he is once again doing well. Here we are fifteen years ago.


            And here is Gunner last week.



            Gunner has aged a bit, yes. And so have I. But despite being round, middle-aged and not in the best of shape (to put it kindly), I still enjoy a good gallop up the hill on my current riding horse, Sunny.



            So, please, if you have any interest in reading mysteries on Kindle, take me up on the free book offer. And next week you can collect the second book, Hoofprints, for free also (its currently only 99 cents). And then, if I’m lucky, you’ll be dying to read the rest of the series—all ten of these books are just $2.99 each as Kindle editions. The order is Roughstock, Roped, Slickrock, Breakaway, Hayburner, Forged, Moonblind, Chasing Cans, Going Gone and Barnstorming.
            Those who have read my novels, feel free to give me some reader reviews in the comments. And yes, I can take a bit of criticism as well as praise. And I deeply appreciate every kind comment— especially if you are willing to put said comment on Amazon or Goodreads as well. Not to mention the wonderful blog posts I’ve read about my books over the years. These positive reader reviews are SO important to authors nowadays. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who have taken the time to do this. I very much appreciate it.

4 comments:

RiderWriter said...

Yay, Gunner! I was wondering how he was doing. Hang in there, buddy, your family isn't quite ready to let you go yet...

I already own and love Cutter. Will be looking forward to Hoofprints as it's one I don't have yet!

Laura Crum said...

Hoofprints will be free next Weds and Thurs, RiderWriter--a Halloween special. I'll be sure to mention it here.

Alison said...

What a great opportunity! One day I will own a Kindle!

Glad Gunner is doing well. I hope winter treats him kindly.

Laura Crum said...

Alison--Yes--winter is the question. I have blankets and sheds, and today Gunner galloped, and I mean truly galloped, the 150 foot length of his corral, so, yeah, who knows? But I take careful stock of how he is doing every day.